Thursday 8 November 2018

The Further Adventures of EmperorBevis

Beer!
The imbibing of a beverage created by the fermentation of yeast and malt often flavoured with hops.

*


It is my hobby, my distraction, my vice and my recreation.  However it is not the entirety of my life.  I also have a love of poetry, comedy, equality, politics, my family, pizza and an eclectic taste in music that incorporates Thrash Metal, 90's Indie and Blue Grass.  Far from surprisingly, most important to me is my family.  Which brings us to my long suffering partner Julie, who neither likes drinking beer, eating pepperoni pizza nor listening to Thrash metal.

Julie likes to drink wine, fruity ciders, sweet cocktails and has an eclectic taste in music that incorporates Goth, Shoe Gazing, 90's Indie and David Sylvian.  So are there alcoholic drinks that can cater to such tastes yet still be classified as beers.  YES!  My, or rather our recommendation is Früli.  Below is our joint review published onto my Beeradvocate account.

Van Diest's Früli Strawberry Beer.  £1.80 for a 330ml bottle from Tesco.  
Bottled and co reviewed by my life partner;  Julie.  Pours a cloudy red body with decent white head. Julie: Aroma is strawberry, toffee and cherry.  Flavour tastes like toffee apple. Bevis: Aroma is strawberry fruit chews.  Flavour is first of all strawberry cordial, then at its lowest flavoured point a lot better taste than any other commercially available strawberry lager.  Great body that is neither thin nor heavy complimenting a nice level of sweetness.


Also 'mentioned in dispatches'  Brouwerij Lindeman's Pêche and  London Beer Factory's Berliner Heist.  Easy drinking fruity beverages great for those not attracted to more traditional bitters, lagers and stouts. 


Beer Nouveau Brew Tap, 75 Northern Western St, Manchester M12 6DY.
A place that actually can facilitate my love of craft beers and Julie's desire to drink cider that is made from real fruit alongside our love for 90's Alternative music. It's open 16:00 to 22:30 on Fridays and Saturdays.  The ultra practical decor of comfortable worn in sofas with coffee tables and bar stools makes it relaxed quirky atmosphere.  I've not felt so at  home in since the demise of the 'Subway' under Grand Central.  Music is kept present but unobtrusive with tracks that are very similar to my own collection with the omission of riff heavy screams from long haired metal heads who are mad at their cat. 


The Brewery serves their own beers on cask, keg and bottle.  Also on offer is a limited selection of wines, spirits, ciders and locally produced mead. 

The beer available is down to what is being currently brewed by them.  Beer Nouveau masterly blend together historic, traditional and contemporary styles to produce beer that is of great quality, with an ephemeral palate of flavours and also good value.

One of the most memorable and beautiful tasting beers I have drank was Beer Nouveau's Lite Wit, a wheat based beer that defied all the preconceived notions of the style.  Instead of a boring banana and clove tasting affair I was treated to a sublimely complex subtle spice and berry tasting beer.





*The image of comedy character 'Bugger All Money' is used without the explicit permission of comedian Harry Enfield.  I would like to state that any legal proceedings would be best avoided as they could potentially result in a loss of legal costs due to the fact I am fooking skint and can pay bugger all money out. 

No comments:

Post a Comment